Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disicusion on the thckness at the end of circumferential weld seam

Status
Not open for further replies.

mechengineer

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2001
SG
Hi pressure vessel design enthusiast, experts,
At the location of circumferential joint of spherical head to shell, we can see that the cylinder portion of 250 mm, the small end of 85 mm and the large end is 165 mm. The small end thickness determined by the longitudinal stress [pd/4t] of the cylinder which is same as the stress in the spherical head (hoop stress = longitudinal stress in spherical head = pd/4t).
May we infer that the same is true for the connection of girth flange to shell? The premise is both of shell and flange have to meet the strength requirement itself. That means to use the longintudinal stress to determine g0 of the girth flange rather than the hoope stress [pd/2t] as per ASME VIII-1 Appendix-2. I think that the sloped portion of the shell connected with the spherical head may be a strong example of validation (practical evidence). Just use a girth flange to replace the spherical head.
Very immature idea, I hope experts give pointers. The attractive point to me is able to reduce electrodes consumption by almost 50% as well as for labor of welding work, especially for thicker wall pressure vessels.
HUB_ywftqj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back