Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dispersion Calcs using SCREEN3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill3752

Chemical
Jan 24, 2008
US
I am attempting to determine the stack height for a vent required to maintain the concentration of contaminant (ammonia) below the LDHL during a release. The stack will be installed above the roof a building. The key is that maintenance will sometimes be required on a platform installed above roof level.

I am using EPA's Screen3 program, but am confused about the best approach. In one case I set up with a the roof = terrain level (~80') and a receptor (the maintenance man) = 98', then determined the required height of the stack. Is it appropriate to assign the terrain level = roof level, since the flare discharge is above the roof line?

I also ran the calculations assuming that the roof height = ground level of the flare (and no terrain change), and maintaining the same height difference between the receptor and roof. Frankly, I assumed I would see the results as in the first case - but the required stack height in the second case was much lower.

In a third trial, I assumed the roof did not exist (i.e. no terrain). The results were nearly identical to Case 2.

Anyone have experience using SCREEN3? If so, any input would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've run these Gaussian dispersion calcs in my younger days, but with a Company program. From your description, it looks like the roof level is of no significance in this simulation - all you've got is the release point, the true ground level, and the x,y,z coordinates of the receptor (and of course the windspeed and wind stability class). I dont have an explanation for the differing results in Cases 1-3. You've got to have a simulation input which you believe most closely reflects the actual spatial details, from an Audit point of view also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back