Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Display 3d Sketches in Multiple Drawing Views

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetkovStoyan

Industrial
Sep 1, 2014
DE
Hi, I need help to solve this problem. I'm trying to create a drawing for a boiler wall panel. Basically it's an assembly from 23 tubes created by sweeping two circles along 3d sketch. For the drawing I want to represent each tube as a single line, not as a solid model for simplicity and better visibility. The way I did this was to hide the solid body for every tube at component level and to leave only the 3d sketch visible. Assembly looks good, but in the drawing the sketch is visible only in the Front View. In Top and Left Views the sketch is not visible. I can make it visible manually, but first I don't understand why SW is hiding the sketch in the Top and Left, views, and second it's pretty frustrating to do this for a let's say membrane wall with 200 or so tubes. I've attached pictures if just a single tube which I think is enough to get the idea, but if you need more information please tell me. The pictures are numbered according the workflow. Any help will be appreciated. Using SW Premium 2011 SP2.0

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=980cdba3-2d33-4351-b57a-96986f343410&file=3d_sketch_problem.zip
Thanks for the reply. I use SolidWorks 2011 SP2.0. Maybe it's a bug fixed in 2015?

Regards,
Stoyan Petkov

It's set to "Draft Quality" by default. I think the three views have the same settings because I created Top View and Left View as projection to Front View without changing any of the view properties.

The main view is in draft quality and the sketch is visible. Have tried them both, the same result. I think the problem is that for some reason the 3d sketch is hidden in Top and Left view. I can show it manually as I said earlier, but it's a lot of work for a typical boiler panel. Anyway, still got the option to show the tubes as solid bodies.

Thanks a lot for the replies and telling me exactly what is the problem.

Have a nice day,

Stoyan Petkov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back