Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Displaying Datums Axis in Creo 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModulusCT

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2006
US
Is it just me? Or is this software lacking?

For over an hour now, I have been trying to get my Datum C to show on more than one view... It's a Datum axis. I would LIKE it to show on every view that currently references it in a feature control frame, but it looks like I can only show it in one place on the drawing. One view, one dimension, one datum flag (2009 standard). This is ridiculous. Datum planes show up in every view, no problem, by default. What's going on here?

Any help would be... incredible. I would love to know if there's a way I can create a reference dimension where I want it and attach the datum flag to it, and do this procedure for multiple views.

Thanks guys,

Modulus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can someone just confirm then that it can't be done? I'm baffled.

Please, please, please, use the correct terms!They're Datum Features NOT DATUMS!!! AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAA" -- Don Day

Well, after some additional fidgeting, I'm able to get the model datum axis to show up in every view, but only if I select "On Datum" which of course is incorrect as it shows the flag ON the AXIS... As soon as I then click show on dimension and select a dim, they all disappear. Why does Creo not allow me to show a datum axis in every view, but has no problem showing a datum plane in every view?

Please, please, please, use the correct terms!They're Datum Features NOT DATUMS!!! AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAA" -- Don Day

If you put it on a dimension, the dimension can only be shown in one view. You can put it on a surface or an axis and show it in multiple views.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

OK - So, it just can't be done. Well, according to Y14.5, you're not supposed to place it on an axis (which makes sense, because sometimes multiple cylindrical features share a centerline). I suppose I could try placing it on a surface, but I thought I had tried that and kept getting an error regarding my annotation plane not being acceptable, regardless of the annotation plane I selected. Guess that's a separate question. Thanks for the help, dgallup!

You can always fudge it! I hate doing that but I made a datum symbol that can be stuck anywhere. I mostly use it for assemblies where they are welding 2 pieces together and I want a datum on a diameter of a part but don't want to show the part's toleranced dimension. So I make a reference dimension in the assembly drawing and stick the datum symbol on it. Just hope nobody renames the part datum.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Is this symbol, spec-sized? Could you possibly share it with me? I would love a symbol I could place anywhere I like... That would simplify my life a great deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back