Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Displaying measurements in feet-inches

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauzyb

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2007
US
In the measure distance box of a model, is there a way to get the value to display feet and inches. I know you can do this in a drawing, but I cant make it happen in a model.

example value: 39 1/2"
I want: 3' 3-1/2"
or: 3ft 3.5in
I can get: 39.5in
I can get: 3.25ft

Just figured since i can make it show up on a drawing i could do the same on a model, maybe I'm wrong.

any help would be amazing. Seems like an architect type desire right?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry I didn't ask that right. I want the measure in model or assembly to display like that. I know how to input it in sketch or constraint (however that is good info to show people), i don't know how to how to get it to display it when you use the "measure distance," "measure loop," or "measure area" feature. If I type it in like any of that then "finish sketch" it measure it will still display 39.5in or 3.25ft.

I work on everything from precession machined parts to 500ft long building layouts. If a customer calls and asks about clearance i get tired of measuring and mumbling under my breather divide by 12. And if i request 3650in of belt the shop will cut it wrong every time. Its truly not a big deal but its a minor inconvenience. And honestly I want individual parts to display measurements in inches and assemblies in ft/in with fractions, but that is asking a lot.

thank you for the responses sorry i asked the wrong question.

In the modeling environment: Bring up the Measure Distance/Loop/Area feature. There is a small box to the right of the value window that has a small black right facing triangle. Click the triangle. Scroll down the menu to "Dual Unit" and check "Foot". This will make the value displayed in inches, and below that displayed in feet. It won't give you "3-3 1/2", but it will say 3.25 ft. I'm not sure there is a way to display it the way you want to in the modeling environment.

In the drawing environment, you can dimension something and change your annotations default to "Architecture" which will display your dimensions on the drawing in Feet and Inches, as if on a floor plan blueprint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back