Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Disposal of refinery slops / sludge 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isimbard

Mechanical
Dec 13, 2000
GB
Apart from the obvious ways of disposing of refinery slops / sludge, can anyone advsie other ways of disposal.

Typical disposal.

Pump off and tanker away to landfill site.
Lagoon and evaporation. follwed by uplift and tanker away to landfil site.
Incineration (need info on this or websites).

Drain off all "waters" and try to recycle back thru burners or heater system.

Looking for 21st centuary ideas, not 19th Centuary.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Many cement kiln operations will handle these types of waste streams by blending them in with their combustion fuel. It depends on what their air permit from the EPA allows. A side benefit is that rather than paying for disposal, you can sell the material to them, although probably for only a few cents per pound.

I know the EPA has had some success in using bacteria to dispose of sludge from Oil spills. I don't really know anything about the process or what the byproducts are. I did a quick search on the net for "oil eating bacteria" and came up with quite a few articles that might be of interest.

Refinery slops would be different from sludge. Refinery slops would normally be reprocessed in the Crude unit at a controlled rate.

Sludge disposal is a different issue.

Is very common to process Refinery sludge and slope in the Coker Unit. for instance the relation for sludge is 0.25 Bbls of sludge/ton coke.

Your first step is to determine the amount of sludge/slop produce by your refinery by a material balance.

Refinery slops recycled into the crude oil stream may bring a lot of problems to the refiner, including unexpected corrosion downstream. Barquisimetano's suggestion seems to be advantageous, if you have a coker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back