Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Dissimilar metal welding with - Dichtol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANNICHRI

Chemical
Dec 8, 2020
US

Has anyone used or test the product Diamant Dichtol on a dissimilar metal welding project before? Its expensive stuff, so I would like some input before purchasing it. Our plans are to weld cast iron into steel and were on a time crunch but weve noticed most of parts contain stress cracks. There is no time to fabricate new castings. Would Dichtol seal the porosity in my end product, as well as existing/remaining stress cracks in my metal. Owner says yes, but I’m skeptical…

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=b8bfdf5e-8bf2-4a92-9610-ec12413c406e&file=Technical_Data_Sheet_Dichtol_-_WFT-Standard-1532-EN.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have never used it but the product seems to have been around a long time. It is less likely to work with stress cracks than other porosity because stress cracks are generally larger and can continue to grow with time. But do you need it to seal against pressure or just conceal the cracks? Since this appears to be transparent I do not think it can conceal cracks.

Please consider brazing cast iron to steel. You should be able to make the connection without stress cracks.

Otherwise, products like Loctite 290 are recommended for sealing porosity and maybe some cracks provided the temperatures and chemicals are compatible. I have successfully used Loctite 290 to seal porous welds on a gearbox that was operating at 350 psi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back