Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distance between pump suction intakes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

x926e

Mechanical
May 1, 2002
CA
Hi,
I am installing two vertical 10000 usgpm centrifugal pumps in a salt water well (13'x 22'x 20' deep). The pumps were purchase second-hand and I have limited information on them. Due to constraints, I may have to put the intakes of the pumps about 6.5' apart. I am concerned that since the intakes of the pumps are relatively close together it may affect their performance. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello x926e

The rules of thumb that I use for multiple suctions in a well are:

1. The centerline distance between two pump suctions should be equal to at least 3 x the diameter of the suction bell opening.

2. The centerline of a pump suction should be at least 1.5 x the diameter of the suction bell opening away from any vertical wall.

3. The bottom edge of the suction bell opening should be at least 0.5 x the diameter of the suction bell opening off the bottom of the tank.

I hope this helps you

Fredb
do you happen to have the ansi/hi-9.8-1998 standard, if so do you have any equations giving the above stated requirements. if so that would be great.

Any good pump book will give you the information you are looking for including the correct distances for the pump inlet to be positioned from the floor and from the side walls of your sump. You may also need to address some sort of vortex breaking device incorporated into the sump if the pumps are prone to pre-rotation of the inlet flow.

International College
Naresuan University
Phitsanulok
Thailand

fredb,

I can't believe your post has been sitting out there for two years and never got a star.

I just fixed that. Excellent information.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back