Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distance Relay Protection based in "Travelling Waves" not Impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuanGomez

Electrical
May 5, 2008
ES
Hi everyone.

I am investigating to use a system based in Protection for transmission line or or other aplication (Ex. ANSI 21: Distance Protection) based in "Travelling Waves" instead of the usual calculation impedance.

1.- They know some relay, model, manufacturer of such equipment?
2.- What may be the advantages or disadvantages of this method?
3.- They know that cases are recommended to use such technology and which is not recommended, that the decision depends on factors?
4.- someone has some typical diagram of implementation?

thanks in advance for the information.
Juan Gómez

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are studies about this method of calculation for protection relays (Faults).

You can find basic information about the operation at the following links:

- CIRED EVALUATION OF TRAVELLING WAVE BASED PROTECTION SCHEMES

- Relay Protection of EHV Shunt Reactors Based on. the Traveling Wave

- HIGH SPEED DIGITAL PROTECTION. OF EHV TRANSMISSION LINES. USING TRAVELING WAVES.

- Protección de sistemas eléctricos mediante reconocimiento de patrones de onda viajera

I know little of the subject but I understand that it is much faster in detecting that the traditional method due to use higher frequencies injected into the network and detect the bug in cycles faster by getting a wave of increased frequency of 50/60Hz.

In some cases one negative aspect is that for distances close to the relay point (starting point of the traveling wave), is not as accurate a few miles <7-10km, for distances> 7-10K is a good way (maybe this aspect was fixed in the new schemes).

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back