Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distance to a MLO Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSelf

Electrical
Apr 19, 2004
US
I am wondering if anyone knows what the code says about the distance from a Distribution panel to a MLO only panel, at what point am I required to use some sort of protection device?

Thanks,
Jason Self

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming the distribution panel has the properly sized protective device and voltage drop is dealt with, there is no NEC requirement to have a main circuit breaker in the downstream panel, regardless of distance. A MCB would be for convenience only.

There is no such code requirment as far as I know. It should be a matter of professional jusdgement and practicality.

Question you need to ask yourself is, if you were to work on this panel, can you rely on the remote breaker being positively off for the duration of the work? If you dont want to be that person, provide a local disconnect or MCB.

Suggestion: MLO (Main Lug Only) pannel is supposed to be as close as possible to the disconnect switch (or distribution panel).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back