Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distillation Nozzle Sizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannybagpipes

Chemical
Jun 13, 2006
US
I need to specify nozzle sizes for new distillation equipment.

Scenario 1
The condenser design will include gravity flow from the (tilted) condenser to product receivers when the splitter valve is open. When the splitter is closed the liquid will return to the column. I want to determine the appropriate nozzle size to prevent a flooding condition in the condenser. Also, the nozzle can't be too large for cost reasons.

Scenario 2
The condenser mentioned above will be supplied with 30% ethylene glycol cooling medium. I have determined the heat load of the vapors but I need help in sizing the nozzle for the coolant supply and return.

Scenario 3
The still pot nozzles for steam supply and return need to be specified as well.

Scenario 4
The still pot nozzles for vapor supply to the column and liquid return to the pot need to be specified as well.

I look forward to your comments and suggestions! Thank you for your interest and help.

Dannybagpipes

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dannybagpipes.
A lot of this is simple stuff and if you are an engineer you should be able to figure them out, but I will give you a little push in the right direction. I am going to assume that this is a batch distillation and that the unit is fairly small.

Scenario 1. The nozzle and piping on the condenser outlet are sized based on the maximum condensate flow and the vertical drop of the piping. The pressure drop in the piping has to be less than or equal to the vertical drop from the condenser to the column reflux nozzle.

Scenario 2. The heat exchanger nozzles are going to be the same size as the connecting piping. Size the piping to and from the exchanger and the nozzles will be taken care of.

Scenario 3. Size the nozzles the same as the piping to and from the "pot".

Scenario 4. If the column is small 10" diameter or less. I would make the column inlet nozzle the same size as the column diameter. If the column is bigger than say 10" then you may want to have a reduced nozzle. Not a big deal unless you are running under vacuum, but you did not specify any pressure so let's assume atmospheric distillation. Liquid return to the "pot" is going to occur from liquid running down the inside of the distillation column. The easiest way to make this work is that the liquid runs out the bottom of the column through the same nozzle that the vapor is coming into the column.

I hope this helps you get started.

Regards
StoneCold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back