Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distortion of 106mm OD , 14mm thk nozzle during weld overlay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronak_Patel

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2021
IN

How likely distortion will happen in 106mm OD , 14 mm thk base metal Nozzle made up of SA 366 F11 CL3 during weld overlay (inconel ,5mm )?

is there any min base metal thk requirement for weld overlay to avoid distortion during weld overlay ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No.
Good welding practice and welders, using mock-ups are the only means to combat it.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

^Agree. A fabricator I worked for would not overlay roll & weld cyls less than 3/4 in thick.

Regards

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

3 mm instead of 5 mm WOL may be better.

Regards

Is the 5mm WOL in tow passes (I would hope)?
It is all down to methods.
I have seen it done well on sch80 pipe sizes.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Never heard of SA-366 before (did you mean SA-336?). Grade F11 indicates that this forged component but the dimensions listed don't seem to match up to any standard Long Welding Neck flange.

I can only say that I've never heard of a case of excessive weld distortion due to overlay being applied to a Long Welding Neck nozzle, especially if the weld overlay process is automated and using a spiral pattern.

-Christine

We had 6" nozzle 14mm Thk. CS and 6mm SS W.O. without issues.
But agree with above that you should establish the weld procedure and have a demonstration to check any distortion or shrinkage.

Thank you all for your response!!
@Christine74 Yes ,it is SA-336.
@EdStainless yes ,5mm is total w.o thk

There is no requirement of minimum thickness to avoid distortion or shrinkage during weld-overlay.

Each manufacturer will have their own shrinkage calculation.

Normally, it will occurs at the both end only, like pipe for the example

In my experience, to have extra +10mm prior to bevel preparation to avoid shrinkage in the final dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back