Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distributed loading on shells

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthurlima

Civil/Environmental
Oct 30, 2014
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to use SAP 2000 in order to model a concrete wall. However i cannot understand how I use the assign load tool.
I have a 64mm thick wall and I have come up with the load that it will have to withstand, 40.15 kN/m on the top of the wall. I have used the distributed load tool but I later read that it is supposed to be in force/area units, so I figures I had to divide my linear distributed load by 0.064m to come up with the load to enter on SAP2000. I'm also not really sure I understand how this load is applied, I have selected the load to be gravity oriented, so those that mean it is going be be applied to the to the top of the area oriented in the local 2 direction? What is the difference between the Distributed load and the Distributed to frame load?

Thank you all,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I guess that the solution in your case consists in including a ficticious frame along the top of the shells, properly connected to the joints along that edge.
Then you just have to apply a linear load, gravity oriented, at this frame, and the load shall be transferred to the shells via the common joints.

Regarding the difference between distributed load and load to frame:
Distributed load applies to the shell itself, distributing it to its joints. This would be a typical way to load shells.
Load to frame applies to the shell as well, but distributes the load to any frame located at the edges of the shell. Useful for loading frames without calculating their individual tributary loading areas.

Hi. You shouldn't use uniform area loads but surface pressure, which can be applied to any of the shell faces, previously dividing the linear distributed load by the wall thickness. Or you can use a ficticious frame element with low stiffness as you ve been told before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back