Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Distribution of 3D Models - Best Practice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwatts

Industrial
Jan 4, 2004
GB
We have been getting recent requests from our casting suppliers to provide them with our 3D body casting models so that they can design the pattern.

In order that we keep the design intent of our models within our company, the best method is to supply a dummy model. Our preference on this occasion is to provide a STEP file.

My questions to all:
1. Should we set out a procedure to show the best method of providing a STEP model to a third party?
2. Has anyone come across issues in using a similar method?
3. Should there be a written permission requirement?

Would also like any feedback if there is such a best method as I hope to present a procedure to my manager to explain good practice in reproducing “dummy models” to 3rd parties.

This can also apply to request from the end-user for our products.

FYI: Solid Edge ST1 (upgrading to ST2)

Looking forward to any response and thank you in advance.

Regards...BAW

Severn Glocon

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are correct that dumb solids are the best method. The problem comes in with the translation and any potential errors in translated geometry if your supplier does not verify the model to the print prior to using.

Any number of neutral formats would work. Since Solid Edge uses the Parasolid kernel, I prefer sending out as parasolid files (.x_t or .x_b) over step. I've had fewer translation problems using Parasolid.

Design intent doesn't really mean anything if you are referring to a feature tree vs. dumb solid, though. Any number of direct-editing / direct-modeling / whatever flavor-of-the-month buzz word is being used CAD systems can modify solid geometry, with or without a feature history. Because of that, we give native files when we can just to make sure there are no translation issues. You cover yourself legally by using Non-disclosure agreements and/or specific verbiage within your PO any time data is exchanging hands.

--Scott

1. Yes, though don't completely rule out native files for some of the reasons Swertel mentions, however data security type issues are slightly increased with native files. If you can lock them down it will help but still. If you want to go generic parasolid is a bit more reliable than step or iges.
2. Yes, just today. Went to a vendors to see first parts of a mold and there were some odd curves/bumps. Not totally sure yet if it was a translation issue or their CAD/CAM but something was up.
3. I think it may be a good idea, if you mean something that covers NDA/Confidentiality etc. If you mean you need to get agreement to send out a step file each time, might get time consuming, I'd look to qualify vendors for a set time period or something.

I looked into some of this a while back, drafted a document that a few people liked but others hated and have stayed clear since.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back