Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Division 3 Materials

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesBarlow

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2002
US
I am looking for some information about the material properties for a division 3 pressure vessel. We have been using SA-723 but I was recently asked to design a 22" ID vessel for 30,000PSI. The wall thickness of the material we have used in the past is too thick for us to be competative.

I have been looking at some of the other material listed in Section 2, but this does not seem very helpful.

I am looking for a source that will not only give the "standard" material properties, but a range that can be achieved using various treatments. Particularly how the yield and tensile strength afect the CVN, and what range can I get the CVN in for a specific material.

The forge that we have been using has been helpful before, but they won't do much for me until I submit a quote.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

PS: I do realize that there are a number of techniques available (wire wrapping, layered) to improve the allowable stress in the vessel, but that is not an option were I work.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sir,

The allowable stress values used in Div.3 are applicable only if you are constructiong to that Code. The materials allowed are contained in the Code document. Do you have a Div.3 stamp? Is it your intent to design to this Code?

mikemkc

I am designing this vessel to code. We have a U3 stamp and have used it to make a number of vessels. This is the first time we have tried to make a vessel for 30KSI to code.

I am currently researching other materials listed as allowable for Div 3 forgings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back