Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DIY fibre glass for conical shapes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabla1

Electrical
Dec 26, 2007
GB
Hi, I've watched a few videos and read some tutorials about how to make fibre glass parts and am thinking of buying a DIY fibreglass kit. However I'm unsure as to what you would do with a conical type mold in certain cases (the nose cone of a racing car for example). I could see there being a problem with having to cut or fold over the carbon fibre sheets (like when you cut a slit out of a paper circle to fold it into a cone.). Could someone tell me how its done? Is it simply folded over and then pasted with resin as the layers go down?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In most applications the pattern cutting is a black art. Some industries use specific composite CAD add-ins and analyze in FEA. For your application I would get some cheap fabric with similar shear characteristics and practice with different patterns. Try not to have the cuts and overlaps land on the same area for subsequent layers. Not knowing the exact geometry I might do the body of the cone as single large sheets and do more of a patch work on the rounded end. Hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back