Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

DIY Strain Gauges 1

trvvs18

Structural
Nov 10, 2022
CA
Anyone have a link that shows and explains how to make your own displacement (strain) gauges step by step? Including parts required. Much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are two kinds you are likely to be able to make - foil and fine wire.

For thin film you will need either a laser etching system to ablate the strain gauge material from an insulating layer it is bonded to or a photo-etch system. Photo-etch requires a 1:1 image of the strain gauge for a contact print.
See:
For fine wire you need the fine wire and an insulating layer to bond it to.

I recall seeing some where the fine wire is woven back and forth as one would set up a loom.

Here's an example of home-built fine wire:
Here's one that is most likely for home-made rather than commercially:

my 2c ... making these things is so finicky and so detailed and so prone to error that any DIY strain gauge would be "useless". Your time would be better spent in understanding the theory of a strain gauge rather than trying to build one. Last time I looked there was plenty of references around about strain gauge design.

"Wir hoffen, dass dieses Mal alles gut gehen wird!"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Look at Micro Measurements. Years ago they sent me a very comprehensive binder of their gauges and tutorials on strain gauges.

Back