Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

DMax Criteria problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Watco

Industrial
Apr 23, 2003
US
Part# QTY Max
A 10 10
A 8 10
B 12 12
C 6 50
C 8 50
C 9 50
C 50 50
D 25 25
D 15 25
E 10 10
E 6 10
E 3 10
Do you know how to get the DMax function to calculate the above Max column of data? I have Part# and Qty, but I need the worksheet to calculate Max. The tricky part is that the part number list is very long, and it changes when I refresh the imported list.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have the same problem as you to get DMAX to work. What you could use as a workaround: in the Max column, write
=MAX($B$2:$B$13*($A$2:$A$13=A2))
and enter it as an array formula (press Ctrl-Enter instead of Enter after you have typed the formula. The formula will display as {=MAX($B$2:$B$13*($A$2:$A$13=A2))}. Array formulas tend to get slow in the case of large databases, however [sad]

Cheers,
Joerd

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Do you need the maximum to be in the same table? You can easily get a second table with just the maximums by using a pivot table. Put the pointer anywhere in the database, Select Data|Pivot Table in the menu, Next, Next, Layout, drag Part to the Row area and Qty to the Data area (it will become Sum of Qty, double click to change to Max), OK, then Finish. You will get:
[tt]
Max of Qty
Part Total
A 10
B 12
C 50
D 25
E 10
Grand Total 50
[/tt]
on a separate sheet.

Status