Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Do AIA/CES hours count as PDHs for PE license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfrye

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2015
US
I found some free webinars on plant engineering's website some for either PDHs or AIAs. I have done a few of the PDH flavored ones, but find the subject topics to be more interesting in the AIA ones. Does anyone know if they are comparable to your PE boards?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It will probably depend on the state you're in. I think some states required that the PDH's come from an outfit registered with the state (there was a discussion in mid December about it in the structural forum - maybe Ohio?), some just want it to be in your area of practice, while others just make sure you have a piece of paper that says PDH on it. For us structural folks, a lot of AIA PDH's do count since our practice areas have so much overlap. Check your state's regs, it should be spelled out. If it isn't, a call to the board should clear things up.

Best to call the Board because rules vary from state to state. In one of the three states I'm registered in, they list Board approved providers. However, I think they have a loophole in the rules. The way I read it, they're saying if a provider isn't listed here but they're approved by a recognized industry group - AIA is one of listed groups - then the PDH is OK by them. In another state where I'm registered, which doesn't have a list of approved providers, I received an audit notice a few years ago. They accepted everything I sent in.

In one state I dropped they accepted project management courses, whereas others don't.

As an aside, none of the three States require the PDH's to be in my field of practice. For me that's a good thing. I'm sort of a PDH junkie; I like to look at a wide variety of topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back