Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I have to be a PE to do any engineering work on the side??? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swlamech

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2010
US
Hello everyone,

I am a mechanical engineer and I have almost 4 years of experience in oilfield production\drilling equipment design. I am currently employed at a company that is not part of this field. I developed many of the procedures and methods used at my former company because they had never had an engineer on staff. Recently, employees from my previous company have struck out on their own and have asked me to basically do the job I used to have on the side. My current boss and company do not have a problem with this as long as it doesn't interfere. My question is this: Do I have to be licensed as a PE to do this work on the side ? It would include calculations, FEA, Material selection and procedure development. However I did all this before and I did not have my PE then either. I haven't taken the FE yet but plan to. Any Input ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The utility of a PE is to establish credibility & procedural capability when work is done "for the public". For your situation I'd have to say "not required" since you're just trading hours of your experience & expertise for money.

For context: I've spent my career mostly doing automation work in manufacturing. I started freelancing doing the same: mechanical design of fixtures/machines, PLC installations & programming, robot installations & programming, vision systems, etc etc etc. I have a PE but have never needed to stamp a drawing, and a PE is not required for any of the work I did. Once I had some yahoo ask me to put my stamp on some structrual drawings of a machine support gantry he was building, and I refused. On another occasion my company asked me to design some gantry systems, so I made doubly sure that they would support all anticipated loads and wouldn't fall down. But stamping was not a requirement since they were in a factory setting.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

There is a difference between getting away with something and doing it right.

There is also a difference in liability when you work for a company and offer the services on your own, even if it is the same work.

If you are designing that can affect people's safety, in a private plant or on a public road, you need proper licensing, whether or not you stamp a drawing.

It only takes one mishap or a lawsuit to undo your lifetime's earnings and more, if you do not have proper licensing and liability insurance.

Rafiq Bulsara

Well I don't see it as getting away with anything. I have written my local proffesional engineering board with the exact same question.

I was hired by this company right out of school to do this same job and there was no PE overseeing anything I did. Now I have a PE (my boss) that will review all of my work (for a percentage). It just seems wrong that I can't do the same work just because I'm not a PE. I plan on getting my license but for now I want to start an LLC. There should be no issues as long as I get a PE to review every thing. Does that sound correct ?

You can do the work as an employee of a licensed company or a person, if you are not licensed. But you cannot offer professional engineering services on your own, if you are not licensed. It is that simple. Putting any spin on it is of no use.

Is the 'boss' working at your current employer or the ex-employer? Does your boss (PE) has the contract with your client? Is he taking the responsibility in writing or will he stamp the drawings/reports, if needed? A verbal OK is worthless.

Endless discussions on similar subject have taken place on this site, you may want to do a search and refer to them.

Rafiq Bulsara

For your situation I'd have to say "not required" since you're just trading hours of your experience & expertise for money.
A rationalization with no real rationale. Engaged in engineering for money... sounds professional to me. Probably will sound that way to state regulators.

It really comes down to whether you are an employee or a consultant. Have your "friends" put you on the payroll as an employee, take taxes, etc. Anything else almost certainly crosses the line.

clowerymech said:
Now I have a PE (my boss) that will review all of my work (for a percentage). There should be no issues as long as I get a PE to review every thing. Does that sound correct ?
Will your boss review the work as a side-favor, or will he actually be the EoR for the project? If there's no record of him actually reviewing the work, it's as if he never saw it at all. Is his insurance going to cover him should things go badly? Tread carefully...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I got a reply from my local board and I will just be added to the payroll at this company so I will be "engaged In industry" and every thing will be fine . This is straight from the board investigator.

Thank you all for the input. I'm glad so many are willing to comment.

Hopefully you can get that in a letter or email from the board member. Words can be forgotten... [nosmiley]

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering
Motto: KISS
Motivation: Don't ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back