Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do I need a surge valve or a surge vessel for small sewage lift pumping station with same elevation? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

edmarq1962

Civil/Environmental
Oct 4, 2018
AE
Need advise please.

Do I need a surge valve or a surge vessel for small sewage lift pumping station with same elevation at the PS and at discharge point? The pressure at the discharge manhole is atmospheric pressure means zero.
LPS_wswhps.jpg

Thank you guys. . .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Would you post the image as a pdf attachment as it is impossible to read.

Probably not, but you need to describe or provide information about what can casue the surge such as sudden valve closure or pump stop.

Velocity and length of pipe becomes important too.

If this is a simple very low head lift pump of a few metres, then no, but I can't read the picture either.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

From a maintenance standpoint I would strongly prefer to upgrade pipe class to handle any surge (or increase diameter to reduce velocity and surge magnitude)rather than installing anti-surge hardware in a sewage line.

Do I need a surge valve or a surge vessel for small sewage lift pumping station with same elevation? Attached is the pdf of the schematic diagram of the sewage lifting pumping station. Thank you very much, really appreciated.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d51d631f-0e8f-4fe8-9465-5f8c75f0bf31&file=LPS_Calcultation_.pdf
No, you do not need a surge valve or surge vessel. The discharge chamber is also not necessary. You can discharge directly into the proposed sewer manhole.

A surge valve is only necessary if you want to prevent a downhill force main from draining between pump cycles.

You should have check valves on the pumps. No check valves are shown on the sketch.

Thank you very much to all, Yes I provided Non-Return Valve (NRV) or Check Valve inside the valve chamber just right after the pump to prevent any back flow to damage the pump. Your technical advises are highly appreciated. Thank you sirs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back