Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do transverse bars placed at an angle other than 90 degrees affect splice lengths?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quade999

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2020
US
Hi Everyone,

If I have a longitudinal layer and a transverse layer of bars that are not 90 degrees to one another, does it affect the required splice length.

In the first picture below any affect of the bars 90 degrees to one another is ignored, but what about the situation in the second picture where the layers are 45 degrees to one another. Does this have a meaningful affect on splice lengths?

1_rngjx9.png

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is that mostly because the longitudinal and transverse bars intersect each other over a very small area relative to the splice length? i.e still plenty of concrete flow around the rest of the spliced area?

No, bar intersections are not considered when determining splice length. If it were, the splice length would vary with bar spacing. The splice length is the length required to safely develop the stress in a bar surrounded by concrete. It is not exact.

BA

I would have assumed a non 90 degree angle would have some effect as a portion of the radial tension in the transverse bars would have both a vertical and horizontal component. But then again, my thought is they cross over such a small area it is negligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back