Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Do we need issue ECN (Engineering Change Notice) towards updated Material Spefication ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rizkyffq

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2017
ID
Hello All,

Hopefully my thread is not OOT (out of topic), due i think this is very relevant to Industrial/MFG engineering.
So i got problem in my factory, the problem is related with ECN (Engineering Change Notice).
Our R&D recently has updated their material specification pertaining with low alloy steel 41XX which. The changes is to separate one material spec into two material spec, due there is one product that need more requirement than other product, in simple means there are two material specs of low alloy steel 41XX (General Use vs Specific Use).

Usually update/revision for material spec is not issued by ECN, our QMS will transmit it to HOD in every department (Only HOD ; Head of Department).
In our knowledge, ECN is only for Drawing changes not for Material Specification Changes.

In response by not using ECN, there are any department that missed the information of material specification changes, Purchasing department for example that his staff does not know material specification for Product A is actually must using material specification for generic use, but he uses old material specification. (this is because the transmittal of document for material specification by QMS only sent to HOD not all personnel).

Is there any system to give information about material specification update other than ECN, due ECN as our knowledge is scoped only for drawing changes not document changes.

Hope someone here has expertise on case like this.
Before Many thanks guys

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is not material specified on the drawing? I see the ECN as proper for the change. An engineering change, therefore Engineering Change Notice.

Ted

we considered all spec revisions as ECNs, How else do you keep the BOMs correct?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Material specifications are part of the drawing. Therefore any change on the drawing requires a notification.
If your drawings do not reference material, then they are not complete.

Echoing the other posters here- yes, a material specification change in my world always calls for proper distribution according to your QMS procedures, including updates to any active drawings which may call for the use of that material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back