Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you apply unspecified note tolerances on a MIN distance callout

Status
Not open for further replies.

sendithard

Industrial
Aug 26, 2021
US
ASME Y14.5 2009

If there is a distance that says '.200 MIN' and the notes state that 3 decimals is +/-.005. Is this .200-.205?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

BiPolarMoment said:
Realistically there is probably a limit where the rest of the features/requirements cannot be simultaneously met as whatever dimension goes to infinity

An example where the requirement "MIN" makes sense is for the depth of an internal thread. As far as the requirement itself is considered, the maximum can be infinite, but the thread will never be deeper than the hole, whether it's blind or through.

Thanks...I was aware of the min callout on a thread, but for some reason I didn't put two and two together. Maybe its b/c the area this callout is in seems more appropriate for a traditional tolerance. Thanks again.

sendithard,
If the callout is in a place that seems more appropriate for a traditional tolerance, maybe it should have been a tolerance that has both limits, and it can be a design mistake.
For a MIN type tolerance, there should always be something else that limits the range on the other side, like in the case of an internal thread.
In other cases it is inappropriate. For example, if the height of a boss extending above a flat face is limited by MIN, nothing sets the limit to how high it can be. So that would not be a good specification.

Barunduk said:
For example, if the height of a boss extending above a flat face is limited by MIN, nothing sets the limit to how high it can be. So that would not be a good specification.

However, if it is a requirement for what you will compensate me for my time it is a perfectly good specification. [lol]

BiPolarMoment said:
However, if it is a requirement for what you will compensate me for my time it is a perfectly good specification. lol

Or, if it's a specification of how much you should improve at making jokes [rofl][ponder]

Hi, sendithard:

By definition, ".200 MIN" means .200 plus infinity minus zero.

Your note should state that unless otherwise specified, 3 decimals is +/-.005. So, your note does not apply to ".200 MIN".

Best regards,

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back