Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you draw on the 0 'zero' layer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodwig80

Mechanical
Jul 29, 2004
US
i dont. my co-workers do.

from the begginning when i learned CAD i was taught to never draw on the zero layer. i dont remember anymore why they told me not to. but i just dont.

is there a valid reason why u shouldnt draw on 0?

ps. damn i cant make a poll, owell.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 0 layer can't be removed or renamed or removed.

When inserting blocks onto the 0 layer, when the blocks are exploded, the objects within the block migrate out of the 0 layer onto the layer they were drawn onto. Layer 0 probably has other special attributs also, jut can't think of them right now. Nothing to make drawing on it "bad", though...

I draw on layer 0 all the time.

Items in a block that are drawn on 0 and are colored 'by layer' and linetype 'by layer' will take on the color and linetype of the layer the block is placed on.

If the Express tools BURST Explode Attribute to Text is used to explode the items will retain the layer and color they are placed on.

I would say that it all depends on what the customer wants.. Most clients have their own layering standards. The client that we do work for does not want anything drawn on "0" layer, but that is not to say that is the case with all clients.

cudaracer has a good point. When we do governmental work, and for a few other clients, they typically have specific requirements for layers and colors and so forth. If the client doesn't care, I don't see how it hurts anything except to drive those anal-retentive drafters nuts.

well yeah we have standard layers that we are supposed to use on every drawing but i find a lot of stuff on zero layer for no reason. it just ended up in there somehow...

I work with some CAM programs that only 'see' objects on layer 0 of a dxf file.

At first, I thought they were primitive, but there's a certain logic to it. You put the geometry that's important to the CAM system on layer 0, and stuff that's important to people, like filenames, revision dates and such, on other layers, and you don't have to do any special filtering when sending the file to the CAM system.

Mike Halloran
NOT speaking for
DeAngelo Marine Exhaust Inc.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, USA

yeah mike now that you say that i remember when i used to run the cnc table at silestone i had to not only make all the paths into polylines but they also had to be on 0 layer.

well, some useful info from everyone, but i guess what the instructors really wanted was for me to put every object i drew on the correct layer.

thanks all.

Bloodwig, I think you have the best answer to your own question.

At my first job using CADD in '96, EVERYONE put everything on 0. The reason had nothing to do with technical nuances and strategies the other responders have correctly noticed. The reason? When you start a new file, the only layer is 0, and back then, noone (or at least, I) did not have AutoCAD in college. We had no clue how to utilize the full power of CAD, we were basically using hand-drafting strategies. Although I quickly caught on to Layering, it was years later until I actually figured out the concept of Paper Space, for example.

I think your instructors were trying to get you to create and use layers, so the CAD file would be most useable and re-useable. You are lucky to have had an actual CAD course, I've been using CADD for 9 years now, and I still debate taking a course, because I know there is so much more CAD can do than I am able to allow it to do...hey, this is the start of a new thread...

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

I make separate layers for outlines, text, etc., and I just don't need "zero" objects.

I do use it to draw blocks, so that the block can be inserted into other layers.

Suppose you have a filing cabinet with files labeled "A", "B", "C", etc. And then one last file labeled "Other". Why would you put stuff in the "other" file, when there's always an appropriate file for it? That's kind of the way I look at it.

Ah, but JStephen:

What if you had an empty filing cabinet, and didn't know where the labels were kept? Further, what if someone else had already begun putting everything in one drawer, and you had to add something? And, what if several people were all using the same cabinet, and no one knew where the labels were kept? But wait...what if none of those people used the same alphabet?

...not what SHOULD happen...what would MOST LIKELY happen???

I think this is why you find a lot of stuff on the 0 layer, particularly in old CAD files.

Remember: The Chinese ideogram for “crisis” is comprised of the characters for “danger” and “opportunity.”
-Steve

Speaking of layers and layer standards... Does anyone in AutoCAD land know where I can find layer, color and line "standards" for various types of drawings like Sitework, Architectural, Structural, Plumbing, HVAC, Electrical, etc.?

I know some clients will have there own, but does AIA, CSI or ASCE have some basic starting standards?

There is an "A/E/C CADD Standard Manual", started in 1995, using the combined resources of AIA, CSI, SMACNA, GSA, NIBS and the DoD. It was created specifically to standardize and coordinate CADD, especially between disciplines.

My company uses it, but we do a lot for the DoD. I wouldn't bet on how "universal" it is.

Go here:

-Steve

Iha:

Thanks for the response. I tried the link, but got an error message. Could you check it?

I got in no problem. Try the generic/home site, then click around from there:

-Steve

Thanks, I got in. There must have been a temporary glitch or maybe my chubby little fingers missed a key :{

At our office, we do draw some things on 0 layer specifically. Our customers all have different drafing standards, (layer names, etc) but there are common blocks that we use for all of them. (Symbols, callouts, etc.) We draw the individual blocks on 0, with everything set "by-layer" or "by-block" depending on what it is. When inserted into customer drawings on the correct layer, they appear correct, and no extra layers are inserted into their drawings. Otherwise, we'd have the exact same blocks saved 15 times, just using different layer names to apply to specific customers.

Just how do you manage a drawing when everything is on layer "0"? Is everything you draw going to be plotted?

Or do the folks who use "0" have some kind of object-based management (which I know zero about, by the way).

I don't know, from the very first versions of CAD I was always taught not to use "0" for a drafting layer due to its unique characteristics, which I think are primarily block-based functions. I've always had unique layers for just about everything and yes, it takes some getting used to, but once you get it figured out it's pretty simple and makes managing what my drawings look like pretty easy.

I never learned a different way so I've always just stuck with what I know best, which I guess sounds like the answer for most everyone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back