Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you reccomend engineering as a career? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fanman72

Chemical
Jul 6, 2008
US
I've only had 6 months of experience and my role is more technical sales/marketing than actual engineering. Right now I'm holding onto my job (as everyone else in today's economy) and performing well, but I can't imagine doing this for the next 20 years

Anyway I'd like to get input from you guys with more experience. My little cousin is considering engineering. Like all of us he has a knack for numbers and seems to have the capabilities/motivation to get through an undergrad curriculum. Still he's not sure about the engineering as a career

So my question is this:

Would you recommend this career to him, or anyone else for that matter? I sense a general negativity on this board, and not sure if that's because it's the actual career or simply the nature of the posters.

Also some perspective is nice. I'm curious to see if responses vary according to, let's say, from the power industry to semiconductor industry. Which industry do you work in? How much is your pay? What's your title? How many years have you been working

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would not recommend engineering for everyone. Only those that have the knack for design, theories, science, etc.

If someone wants to get into engineering because "that's where the bucks are" (I've actually heard this before), they are waisting time and money.

I don't know your little cousin, he may or may not be good in this field. I suggest he talk to a college counselor.

Chris
SolidWorks/PDMWorks 08 3.1
AutoCAD 08
ctopher's home (updated Aug 5, 2008)
ctopher's blog
SolidWorks Legion

I'd recommend pursuing an engineering degree to anyone who has the desire and aptitude to finish the program. You can go a lot of places with an engineering degree.

However, (as you are discovering) engineering in real life is different than engineering in college. I wouldn't encourage anyone to do engineering in real life for the money, however, the money does pay the bills.

For you, give it a few years. College life is a lot different (i.e., more fun) than real life, and it will take time to slow down and get used to the pace of life. You'll do fine but it takes time.

I wouldn't recommend engineering as a career to anyone who is not passionate about it. Period.

In Canada, a recent study by Engineers Canada

has shown that 2/3 of people with undergrad degrees in engineering work outside the engineering profession. That hardly sounds like a gig in high demand...

Engineering as a stepping-stone education to some other career? Do you want to join that throng of 2/3 s of engineering grads? Don't waste your time. There are easier routes to similar outcomes- which might teach you something more relevant to what you ultimately do for a living.

Power generation, operation & maintenance perspective:

- The cameraderie born out of hard work in difficult conditions is priceless.
- Remuneration ain't bad by any means.
- Job security is better than average.
- Long days and lost weekends takes a heavy toll on home life
- Being on call ties your social life in knots
- There's a real sense of being part of something
- Big companies bring big company politics

Would I recommend it? Yeah, there are definitely more good aspects than bad. If you can relate to the Dilbert animation 'The Knack' then you'll probably love it.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

I would not recommend engineering to everyone, but I know I made the right decision for myself. I changed majors my sophomore year (spur of the momemt) to mechanical engineering, been working for 25 years, had some great travel opportunities when younger, and have spent the last nine years working in design/construction management for medical research lab/hospital. My youngest son loved talking about the work, visiting job sites, and meeting the customers. He wants to be a doctor; I wouldn't deter him from that. The middle son loves animals and wouldn't come near a vivarium or research lab. Maybe he'll reach his childhood goal and run an evil petting zoo. The oldest has his MS in IE (the imaginary engineer field) and is very happy with that. If you're not happy with what you are doing, or cannot see doing it as a career, you will probably suck at it. I'd rather have my sons (or recent grandaughter) flipping burgers and being happy then being an engineer and miserable.

Hello everybody:

Fanman72: In addition to the statements of the fellows posters, I would suggest to you to give a glance in the Forum "Where is Engineering Going In The Next 5 Years". Over here, you can find a lot of answers/opinions regarding with your inquiry.

As examples: thread730-153465, thread730-229821, thread730-179357.

If you have a degree in Engineering - you can just about do anything. Go to law school, be a doctor, sales engineer, and it goes on and on...

Sure - many of us don't actually do engineering work but the skill set we learned is valuable in almost any field....
We know numbers and logical thinking. A few can even write a decent sentence. The tools we have learned are invaluable!!

I am back into engineering as a manager but have been a "cubicle" (read Dilbert) engineer, VP of finance, sales engineer, sales manager, computer programmer, etc., etc.

IF he is interested - tell him to go for it - he will figure out his future when that time comes... and it may not be engineering.

it seems to me that you have been thrown into the deep end. "technical sales and marketing" is not for everyone and some prior experience is generally required. At the risk of stereotyping - many of the engineers I have worked with are not particularly outgoing and have limited social skills - two characteristics that are necessary for sales and marketing. If you fit into this categor, you might do better in a different job where you could do more engineering analysis and let somebody else (who might enjoy it more) do the marketing.

As far as your cousin, if he has the aptitude, encourage him. Engineering is a great field and most of my colleagues would do nothing else. Don't let your first 6 months at your first job convince you and him that engineering is a bad career choice. It sounds like it's your job that stinks.

If you can hold onto a good gpa than by all means I would recommend engineering over any other degree you can obtain at a 4 year college, even if you decide that engineering isn't what you want to do for a living. You quantitative abilities, analystical skills, and overall ability to handle high work loads will be very strong when you graduate. This alone will set you apart from the general heard in any field. Additionally, if you decide you decide to pursue another field it will also help you excel in the field more than any other degree will... A part from psychology possibly (which I always think is a good subject to get a few classes in).

Basically, I would recommend engineering degree to everyone. However, I wouldn't recommend an engineering job to everyone.

I wouldn't recommend engineering for everyone, but, I would ask everyone who's potentially interested to consider engineering. While someone might be good at math in high school, college math is another matter altogether. Some people can't make the conceptual leap into calculus.

Additionally, math is a necessary, but not sufficient condition. He needs to have the desire knack to solve specific types of problems, otherwise, he's just wasting his time.

Nonetheless, if he has the aptitude, then engineering can be a good place to be.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Just my two pennies worth ...

I would, as a generality, recommend engineering as a career.

However, do remember that Engineering is like any other profession in terms of its rewards - a mix of what *you* make of it, what your attitude is and luck (who you work with, the opportunities that are thrown up).

I'm not an engineer by education (physics, very mathematical physics with a good dose of work-it-out-for-yourself experimentation and computing), but (so far) I've managed to mostly enjoy myself and have adequate (not great) remuneration, in a career encompassing military comms and civilian systems engineering.

Attitude is important - I've been in a number of jobs that don't look particularly enthralling but, IME, there's usually some positive aspects to pick up and focus on. I've been to places which half the people there moan about and half have fun - it's entirely up to the individual whether they want to spend a couple of years being miserable or getting what they can out of it (I can't believe some of the places or things people will complain about!).

Even though the referenced Canadian report mentions 2/3 of engineers don't do engineering, there is still a chronic shortage of engineers in many disciplines most of which aren't actually as bad as they're made out to be (safety is a particular UK example). So there's plenty of opportunity out there.

Fanman72:

(FYI: I'm in machine design)
As for your position and future in engineering, it depends a lot on yourself and the company you work for. I definately wasn't doing the same thing at work with 6-12 months of experience as I am now, and I'm only at 3.5 years of experience. When I first started, I was given some drafting, non-critical designs, modifications and revisions, etc. Basically, the type of things that didn't require any real thought or technical ability. As I gained experience, I was able to get more to the "meat and potatoes" and now I am a project engineer and shove my "fluff" off on the drafters in the office. (No offense to drafters - many of them with more experience still know more than I do). The point is, if you liked engineering in school, stick with it. It will just take some time to gain/earn the responsibility for the in-depth and technical aspects. Then you will actually use the skills and information you gained during education. Make sure to keep up on it and read interesting engineering articles, etc so you are ready when it comes around!

As for your cousin, it's hard to say. I certainly wouldn't discourage him. The best I think you can do is try to let him know more about the field of engineering. Also, Ctopher recommended talking to a college counsler. I strongly second this. I wouldn't bother with the high school counslers (maybe his are better than the ones I had though), except maybe to point you to somebody else to answer questions. The high school counslers seem to mean well, but how could you expect them to have a grasp of all the possible job/college options available and be knowledgable what every position does. Tell him to talk to college counslers or department heads for programs he might be interested in. It can be a drag for a young person to sit around with "the suits" and discuss all the boring details, but it's worth it. It certainly is a big decision!

-- MechEng2005

I personally wouldn't want to be back in manufacturing again, not at any time but especially not right now. I've been in that business when I was young: saw the lines fall quiet as the last product went through, worked short weeks when business was slack, watched friends walk out of the gate for the last time when the redundancies started. Unhappy days back then, and I see the same thing happening now.

Good news is that it is boomtime in the heavy electrical industries, mainly due to the couple of decades of underinvestment and non-recruitment which preceded the boom. I think the good times will probably continue until I retire: there's just too much to do in order to fix our crumbling utility infrastructure and too few people to do it for it to be any other way.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

As someone who applied to colleges thinking they would do engineering and then not doing it, I would say your cousin needs to give some thought as to what type of job they may want in the future. I did my undergrad in a science and am now going back for engineering. Think about what you can do with an undergraduate degree and what you can do with whatever other degree your cousin is considering? My guess is that many of the things you can do with that other degree can also be done with the engineering degree. However, not having the engineering degree will proclude you from many opportunities.

Tick,

You are correct about getting battered around if you do not know what you want. I have had 4 jobs in 4 years and have just about driven myself crazy. I have come to the conclusion that I am a horrible engineer. I am always trying to change the world when it is not my place.

Fanman72

From my limited experience being an outgoing person as an engineer is not received well. It is seen as showing off. In my current position I have shut my mouth and no one hates me but I can't stand myself. If your cousin is an outgoing person, engineer is probably not the best place for him. I am very unhappy. I wish I could change careers but my wife will not let me. At this point I could care less about the money I would like my sanity back. As long as I can remember I always wanted to be an engineer. Now that I am it was the second worst decision of my life (I was a paratrooper in the military and that was the first; Why did I jump out of a perfectly good airplane?) If your cousin is not sure he would like to do engineering I believe that their are plenty of things about engineering that will frustrate him.

I currently work for the oil and gas industry. I have been working for 4 years as an engineer. I have also worked for a defense contractor and for an aviation furniture supplier. I am currently a mechanical design engineer. I also read somewhere where mechanical engineers are the least happy of all engineering disciplines. If anyone has a link to that study I would really appreciate it.

Signed,
The engineer at the edge of the cliff thinking the jump will not hurt that bad.

SW 2007 SP 5.0

My 2C,

I'd worry more about wanting to be an engineer (or at least having an interested in things that are engineered) than just 'being good at mathmatics & physics so it seems the obvious choice'.

In my opinion too many people study engineering at Uni/College just because they're good at maths & physics not because they have any interest in engineering or even things that are engineered. I believe at least part of the blame for this falls with guidanc counsellors, teachers etc.

I studied aerspace systems engineering simplistically because I wanted to design aircraft and had an interesting in aviation & defense. My math & physics were above average but not stellar and I struggled.

I find that often it's the folks that fell into it because of being good at maths & physics that whine moan & complain most once they get their engineering career.

Those with more of an interest in engineering, or at least the things being engineered, will still complain about aspects they don't like (at least I do) but don't reconsider whether engineering is for them.

I think engineering/engineering education would be better off without as many of the 'good at math and science so best study engineering but no interest in it' crowd and leave room for a few more people passionate about it but maybe not quite as academically gifted. (I'm not saying no one from that crowd should take engineering, I'm sure many of them end up having decent careers & contributing etc but just not as many.)

As to the outgoing thing, twoddle. Yes many engineers tend to be a bit introverted/socially awkward, however that doesn't mean more socialy astute folks are prejuciced against. If anything these types are more likely to get into leadership & management roles etc.

Bester, having worked with a lot of ex servicemen, I have to say they tend to have a sense of self confidence somewhat higher than your average 'civilian all the way' engineer, to a level that borders on seeming arrogant. I came to realize that it was just how ex servicemen tend to be and in most cases deal with it, maybe your colleagues haven't worked this out.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies:

Engineering and design even though they require a goodly bit of intelligence also require you to be innovative and have a vivid imagination. Imo without one or the other you're not going to get far.

I do like your comment on the academics Kenat. I tried an undergrad ME program and hated it. Hell I could only muster a C+ in calculus 1 back then. Now almost 10 years later I'm taking the core ME classes to start a MSME degree, and I'll have an A in calculus 1. This is after 10 years of industrial design and manufacturing experience.

It really takes a lot of maturity to take it all in and really get it. So don't be detered in the begining of your journey. Enjoy it. Almost nowhere else can you learn something new and exciting every day like you can in engineering. I couldn't see any other career being half as fulfilling as what I do now.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

Fanman72 I would give it a little while. (as it sounds like you are doing.) and see what you job turns into.

Employers want to hire engineers to do just about everything. As everyone said above an engineering degree will is good preparation for just about everything.

There are a lot of ways to look at life. This is the way I look at it and I have been happy so far.

Work is how you finance your life. It is how I feed my family, put a roof over their heads, and get to do fun things with them (and my friends) All that stuff comes first, then comes do I like what I do.

I started off not liking what I did, but I had the other stuff. Then I started looking around for something I did like.

For those of us that are not independently wealthy we have to look at college as job training. An engineering degree will increase your chances of getting a job.

Example from my life:

I was an average student in Mechanical Engineering I had 4 job offers before I graduated college.

My brother was a straight A student in English. He had to wait tables for a year and a half before he found a professional job. (Investment Banking)

To summarize an engineering degree is always worth getting even if you don't want to do it for a career and if you aren't happy look around there are lots of types of engineering jobs, from the business end all the way to design/technical. Just find what you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back