Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you use FlexLM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

darnell

Mechanical
Jun 24, 2003
US
We currently use a program called Sassafras to manage our seats of SW. Assuming the FlexLM works for most, I am looking for people that have had problems with it and what they were. We are thinking about changing but do not want to change to a system plagued by problems

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi, we use flexlm for our SolidWorks and AutoCAD licensing. In use it gives no problems. We have it setup on a single server (no fancy triad server stuff). The only problem we have had is with our VAR sending us duff license files to read into it. For example they have sent us a 2005 compatible file when we were still using 2004 etc.

I like the SW SNL FlexLM manager better then Sassafras. I find it way easy to setup. I had my boss order me a seat of SNL w/ the USB dongle. When I installed it was so simple a monkey could do it.

As for VAR sending you license files etc... You can now do this at the SW website with few problems. If you don't stay up to date with the lastest SW then you will have call into your VAR and they will ave to call SW to get a special Flex license file for your Facility.

SW posts a guide at their site, which goes into the nity grity of the FlexLM file and how do certain things with it. If you looking to customize it, check out the FlexLM guide.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

The guide Scott mentions is a big help. We used it to seperate our liscenses into 2 different groups so that they do not lock each other out.

The intent of me asking was to find out what problems people had in the "real world". Things you don't hear or read about in documents from the Solidworks website and VAR sales people

Thanks for the help!

I am using it in the "real world"

The only problem we have ever had was one time the exclude list that keeps our two groups seperate seemed to quit working, but I think it was a problem with how IS had the groups set up.

The only other problem encountered was users not shutting their session down before going home. That's when we found the time out setting. Now it's no longer a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back