Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Do you use layers in Catia V5 for data segregation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKelly5300

Aerospace
Aug 29, 2002
US
Do you use layers in Catia V5 for data segregation? I know it is possible but
We are transitioning from V4 to V5 and are trying to determine how our existing V4 processes regarding layers and filters will apply in V5.
thanks-
Kelly

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's something I'm looking into also - being used to layers on CADDS5 and Catia4.
But, I'm not sure if it's something 'they' really want to bother with. I say that because the documentation on it is not very clear/useful (it seems!)
There is a 'box' in the 'graphics' toolbar for naming and choosing layers - apparently... - haven't worked how to filter the layers, from that, yet!

Steve

After consulting with MSC software regarding the
layer usage in V5 I have found out that Dassault has
no intention of users utilizing layering.
The response was "why would you want to use layers ?"
They recommend that we now use partbody's and openbodys
to organize our data.

Yeah right.....after all these years --- who needs
layers......

Give me a break Dassault.

hi,

DS told me at the COE about the layer, they are working on it but they need to make some choice about how we should use them. But it is something that will come some day.

What would you say about a CAD that doesn't use layer ?

I guess we have to wait...

Have fun

Eric N.

catiav5@softhome.net

hi ,

Using layers in catiaV5 is a difficult task in the sense it may not work as easily as other conventional cad packages.

I recommend to make effective use of hide/show functionality as entities can hide/showed at any time in the midst of an command as well.

When designing in Catia V5, a good organized specification tree is the clue to a stable and easy edit of your design.
A tip is to think ahead of your design and structure up your tree with different Open and Part Bodies, you could also rename the bodies and edit the properties to them (line thickness, color etc.) When doing this you hide/show bodies in the tree and you have better control of your design.
Another tip witch I use a lot is to create a group out of a Open body. You can then point out the features you will see in the tree, and the rest of the features will not be seen. You can afterwards expand and collapse the group as you want. Search for Creating a group in the online documentation for more information.

Greetings from Norway
/Yngve

I agree with Yngve, Open Bodies, Part Bodies and where applicable Sketches can be used to 'group' data. Having come from a Cadds5, Catia V4 background I spent a lot of time worrying about layers , I now believe you can work in V5 very well without them.

Chris Dixon
Design Engineer
Alstom Power

There is something similar to Catia V4 layer filters in V5. It can be found in "Tools / Visualization filters" menu.

Also you can use the "Properties" popup menu on an gemoetric entity such as a sketch and set a layer number in the lowest case of the "Graphic" sub sheet.

If you apply a filter, Catia will only display entities that are in the layers selected in the current filter.

I tried this (quickly) in V5R8 and V5R10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back