Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Documenting of GOOSE messages ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lz5pl

Electrical
Feb 6, 2007
BG
I posted this question on another forum, but still there is no much activity there. My case is following:
I have a project now where I am going to realize part of protection logic by GOOSE messages between relay protections on different bays. Logic itself is not very complicated, no problem to configure GOOSEs. We prepare circuit diagram logics, which up to now were sufficient to understand interaction between various components of the control and protection scheme. But with GOOSEs we will have now relations, which are not presented on circuit diagrams, as they are not electrically wired connections.
For example - primary scheme of the substation is block "110 kV cable - 110/6 kV transformer" without circuit breaker on 110 kV side. All trip commands have to be transmitted via 87L relay to remote end CB. In particular: trip command of 87T relay will be sent as GOOSE to 87L on our side and re-transmitted to remote end 87L as "external trip command".

Of course I can do it also electrically, by activation of BI's on our side' 87L relay, but it worths to test 61850 features on such small project before starting with something more complicated. And immediately I faced problem for visualization.

Question is: how can I document that logic on the drawings? Up to now when we have some non-standard logics in one relay we simply add to relay panels circuit diagrams also printout from relay configuration software, like CFC's from Digsi, for example. But now I wonder how to present that logic on paper. May be some logic diagrams have to be added with GOOSE names shown on logic equations, or ... ? I am curious how this visualization is realized (if at all!) by other coleagues. Two years ago we commissioned large substation designed by one of the biggest relay manufacturers and such visualization completely missed on their design. You can imagine how difficult is without visualzation to understand logic of interlockings of 18 bays switchgear in double busbar system with transfer bus and also some bays connected to step-up transformers of power station!

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We are embarking on our first project with IEC61850, and stuggling a little with this too.
The complicated logic is all inside the IEDs - we normally create logic diagrams in visio to visualise this.
For our project what was an opto-input is now a subscription to a GOOSE bit, we are hoping to do the same thing, but aren't quite at that point of the development yet.
To show the interaction of GOOSE signals between IEDs, we are using a matrix for now - just done in excel
GOOSE signals being published from each IED are listed in rows.
Then a column for each IED, with the names across the top, and an 'x' in each cell when the IED subscribes to the signal.
So far it seems a good method to understand the interaction between the devices in the system.

I would say DiscoP has a good idea. Additionally, I have seen IED internal (hard configured) logic shown with normal logic gates, on a separate logic sheet.

How about something similar to how you would show logic into BI, but some connotation that it is a GOOSE message? (perhaps noting the comm link)

There is that old saying of keeping things simple...

Yes, I also think what DiscoP said is a good idea. We present in a similar way tripping logic of relay protections (in Tripping Matrix), so something like "GOOSE Matrix" would be OK.

But I am still curious how this matter is solved by other collegues. Actually I never have seen in design of even big companies graphical representation of these logics.

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back