Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does A Large Eulers Value Also Equal A Large Youngs Modulus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatthewMansfield

Civil/Environmental
Aug 11, 2012
GB
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone could help with determining whether a statement regarding compressive column testing is valid or not.

2 x Columns were loaded compressively (same dimensions, same K values), the results revealed:-
Column A has a Eulers Critical Load of 83525N and a Youngs Modulus of 2284N/mm^2
Column B has a Eulers Critical Load of 65493N and a Youngs Modulus of 1791N/mm^2

Would it be correct to say that since column A had a greater Youngs Modulus you would expect column A to also have a greater critical load when compared to column B?

Would this be a valid statement?

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Euler critical load equation:

image_qjeydo.png

Would this be a school question? While Euler's theories are important for understanding stability and column buckling, there's a reason they weren't used for the first couple hundred years after he developed them - they fail to account for lots of other aspects of a column and lots of columns analyzed with it initially failed. I hope this isn't for an actual design...

r13 & phamENG

Thank you for your response.

R13 - I already know Eulers equation but thank you.

PhamENG - No it is a school related question but i was thinking about whether the statement would be true or not.

So your opinion on the actual question is?

Your answer lies in the equation, noting the relationship between P[sub]cr[/sub] and E, with all other terms are identical for both columns.

Are you trying to confirm the proportionality of the modulus of elasticity with the critical buckling load? That's not a matter of opinion at all. As r13 said - it's in the equation.

r13 & phamENG

It has just hit me, you are correct it is in the Equation.

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back