Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does Acetal Delrin emit fumes when warmed up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hewhowearsmanyhats

Mechanical
Jun 5, 2009
US
I'm using Delrin as a tray to hold small tubes while they cure in an convection oven that is warmed to 50 degrees C and cured over 38 hours. These tubes are sprayed with a chemistry and I'm concerned that the delrin might emit an vapor and contaminate the batch. Is there a concern? Should I pre heat the trays prior to loading them to "season" the delrin?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Delrin is a very poor choice for an oven tray. It does emit formaldehyde when heated and if heated to much for to long will continue to produce formaldehyde as a byproduct of its degradation.

I would use polyester or even polypropylene at those temperatures. The PP will be a bit flexible but it is quite inert to a very wide range of chemicals. By comparison, polyesters are rigid, inert to almost everything and temperature resistant.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Polystyrene and SAN should also work, i.e. inert and able to withstand the temperature. Cheaper than Delrin too.

Chris DeArmitt

"Knowledge has no value except that which can be gained from its application toward some worthwhile end."
Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back