Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone have experience with importing Autocad files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eye

Mechanical
Apr 15, 2003
US
Hi we're transitioning from Inventor to Edge and we want to know if anyone has any tips on gettting all of our old 2D Autocad files and Inventor files into Solid Edge so we don't have too much rework.

Thanks for your help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Select file open from the menu. Click on the "Files of Type" drop down menu. You will be given the option to change the file type extension to any on the list. Select "AutoCAD documents (*.dwg). This will allow you to see and open these ACAD files from this tool. You can set the options if you like in by selecting (single click on the file) the file you wish to open in Solid Edge and selecting the "options" button at the bottom of the menu (note: the options button will not activate until you have selected a file). This will allow you to control and change certain atributes from the Autocad file. Typically you can leave the default settings and just open the file. Layers, line styles etc. should stay intact through this process. This has been a very effective way to open and migrqate Autocad data since Version 1 of Solid Edge.

When sending out parts to be quoted on I will use the batch file to translate my files from SE draft to .dwg. Have not tried to do a batch translation from .dwg to SE draft. The path to mine is:
D:\Program Files\Solid Edge V12\Custom\Batch
I know it is late but maybe it will help in the future.

We have quite a few old ACAD drawings we sometines import ito SE draft. The default settings usually work fine for us. The elemens are brought in coloured as they were in AutoCAD. Sometimes this is a problem if you end up with yellow text on the SE draft white background. One quick tip is to group all the (for instance) yellow text before changing colour so they are all changed at once. SE seems to have a limit on how many individual elements it can process at once for things like colour change or linestyle change etc. Grouping the elements first gets around that limitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back