Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know of a forum dedicated to machining techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin M.

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2018
US
I'm having a machining problem as follows:

I'm machining a titanium part that is cylindrical or conical (depends on where you are on the part) in shape. I am using flat bottom tools and driving normal to part surface. The titanium does like this and I get inconsistent thicknesses.

I could use some feedback regarding a better technique, hopefully someone can point me forum that is similar to this one but focused on machining.

Thank guys/gals.

Franklin
UG 10,13 & 18
NX 1,2,4,6,11 & 12
NCL502 (yep I love Sequential Mill)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi John,

I did. See second paragraph. I'm cutting a titanium part, I rough to within .030 and then finish using tool axis normal to part and flat bottom tool to avoid the crest that standard tool geometry generates. The inconsistent results are bad finish, bad surface form (tool pressure ?). a spring pass usually cleans it up.

I could add a .005 stock pass and then finish, but the program run time is already 30+ hrs. I am hoping for a mythical tool or cut motion that will give me a flat and consistent form.

I thought about leaning the tool axis in relation to the part surface but then have the dish from the tool.

Any thoughts.....

Franklin
UG 10,13 & 18
NX 1,2,4,6,11 & 12
NCL502 (yep I love Sequential Mill)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back