Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know the size of the gas turbine run on pure hydrogen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jejaram

Electrical
Feb 9, 2011
CO
Hi

Last week I read about the University of Stavanger in Norway running a gas turbine purely on hydrogen but despite the several artickes I checked, none mentioned the power of the turbine and the ones that gave more information about tbis issue, said it was a micro turbine.

Does anyone have inside information and could tell us the power of this turbine?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I saw that the run was meant to prove storage and delivery practices. He says they used a micro turbine. Capstone Turbine uses that terminology. Their 65KW unit has a hydrogen rating but not 100%. For what it's worth, GE has a variant of the Frame 7 that could run on up to 100% hydrogen but it hasn't done it yet. Those are in the hundreds of MW.

Fueling a combustion turbine (CT)on 100% hydrogen may not be the best goal.... There are issues and trade-offs

A fuel blend of methane and hydrogen might be best... there are NOX emmisions limits on these machines

Flame stability and machine control under high percentages of hydrogen are also issues .... This is true for all sizes of CTs

Remember that hydrogen is a "low-calorific" fuel as compared to methane (natural gas)..... Consequently, you cannot get the same elecrical generation power with a blended fuel as a CT fueled by 100% Natural Gas !!!

It seems that many Major vendors of CTs have had hydrogen fueled programs in place for many years.

These are important GE papers:

ETN Paper:

SIEMENS Presentation:

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back