Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know what a "Skin Type" Air Conditioning system might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMCCJRS

Mechanical
Oct 22, 2020
AU
This is for a commercial office building being designed and someone mentioned a skin type air conditioning system. I thought this might be an induction type system at the facade. Has anyone come across this term before please?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My fridge freezer has a skin condenser so the side walls get hot not the back.

Same thing for a building?

Maybe they want to use the roof for a penthouse?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Probably hard for us here to guess what someone in the meeting you attended might have meant. for all we know, that person may have used an incorrect term. why not ask that person or the person who ran the meeting or is in charge of design?

skin type, cools by radiation, like a passive chilled beam ceiling? Could be anything. Could have been an architect who heard Heat sink, and somehow his brain converted sink into skin....

Probably just referring to the perimeter system, which may be different from the interior system. Perhaps fan-powered for the perimeter and VAV for the interior. Could be referring to something like induction on the perimeter. Bottom line, I don't it is referring to a "type" of air conditioning but rather the zone or system that serves the building perimeter (sometimes referred to as the skin).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back