Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know what is the difference between general static and general Riks algorithm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleSong

Civil/Environmental
Sep 18, 2015
AU
Dear mates here:

I got a question if I don't introduce any imperfection to General Riks, and load the same structure with the same load, what is the difference between General Static and General Riks?

From the previous topic, there is an answer from Martin:

Riks is best suited to problems where there is unstable buckling or collapse - it uses an arc-length method to determine the response of the loaded structure, where there are siginificant changes in the structure's stiffness.

but as far as I know, if you do not introduce any imperfection to kind of induce the buckling tendency, the instability will never occur, and it will just be compressed as static, my presumption is the structure is under compressive load, and for this situation, what is the difference between Statics and Riks?

I feel so confused about this question, can anyone give me a clue, I am so so appreciate!!!

Best regards & Sincerely,
Kyle

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's all explained in the manuals.

Getting Started with Abaqus: Interactive Edition 8.2 The solution of nonlinear problems
Abaqus Theory Guide 2.2.1 Nonlinear solution methods in Abaqus/Standard

Abaqus Analysis User's Guide 6.2.4 Unstable collapse and postbuckling analysis
Abaqus Theory Guide 2.3.2 Modified Riks algorithm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back