Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does anyone know what year gridded Dry systems were prohibited?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NOFIRE777

Mechanical
Jan 10, 2008
US
We have a project that we are doing that has a gridded dry sprinkler system? I know that these are now prohibited and have been for a while. The system is not that old however. We are curious along w/ the local AHJ what year gridded dry systems became prohibited per NFPA 13. Anyone know?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Probably within a eighteen months of the day the building with a grid design automatic sprinkler system burned to the ground. That's about how long it takes for the code to be changed when an incident like this occurs.

Remember that many of the NFPA and International code provisions are written specifically in response to loss history. Tell the code official not worry about the when - rather, worry about the why.

I have a 1980 edition of 13 and gridded systems were permitted on a dry pipe valve. I think it changed in 1982 or 1984. Wow can I have been doing this for that long?? I must be getting old...LOL

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

Tom, your not getting old. We're both becoming seasoned. And neither one of us is a fine wine.

Scott,

Good to know, LOL

Tom

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

I found no restriction on gridded dry systems in my '87 edition, but did find it in my '91 edition (section 3-2.3.2). Ask the AHJ when the '91 edition was adopted. I work in some localities that adopt new editions when they're published, others that have a 10 year lag (or more).

Ed K

I did a number of gridded dry systems when they were allowed and never had a problem. Simple, keep your system small, less than 400 gallons, and make sure you had a good water supply.

50 static, 35 residual @ 600 gpm and you would have a problem but 152 static, 150 residual @ 2,100 gallons and gridded systems would work just fine. On one of my projects I actually have this fine water supply. :)

I wish they would allow dry grids back (I know, no way of this ever happening) with the strict 60 second rule requirement regardless of system size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back