Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does CAD portion of NX work exactly like solid edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eatfood

Industrial
Sep 7, 2012
CA
Ive never tried NX before. In terms of user interface, controls, flow, how parts are modelled etc is the CAD arm of NX essentially solid edge? Or is it different?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some common 3D CAD workflows are the same, but overall NX is way different. In some areas it's way better/more powerful, in other areas it's worse. I'm moving from Edge V20 to NX 8.0 and I love a lot of things that NX brings to the table. But it has some ancient outdated workflows and methods (coming from purly a PC centric background) that are hard wrap my head around. It lacks in drafting considerably, but advances are being made. But the one thing it has going for it is that I used to run into modeling "walls" in Solid Edge Sheet Metal and so far, I feel the barriers have been lifted. Only to be rebuilt in other places like drafting. I'm doing my best to change things and make them better and faster. And if you hate the MS Ribbon/Fluent toolbar approach as much as I do, NX will be a welcome relief. Well, up until you try a Ctrl-Tab to switch betwen open parts. ;-)

If you are a sheet metal guy, then you will find a lot of similarities in NX as sheet metal essentially comes from Edge but with some steroids.

If you have any other specific questions I would be happy to help.

Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
305 Leo St.
Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A. 45404
Tel: 937.224.0868
Fax: 937.224.1356

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back