Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does IBC cover fences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACtrafficengr

Civil/Environmental
Jan 5, 2002
US
I've been asked about fall protection fencing for a bridge over a dam spillway. It's on a filled masonry arch, so posts will be driven into the4 ground. It's in a historic area, so aesthetics are a concern.

I'm used to highway design standards, which don't really apply here. As I understand it, the basic requirements are:
the fence must [ol 1]
[li]withstand a 50lb/LF load in both downward and outward directions (not simultaneously),[/li]
[li]the top rail must be 42” off the ground surface (even with the 50 lb/lf downward load),[/li]
[li]and a 4” sphere must not pass through.[/li]
[/ol]

This was suggested as a fence that would fit in with the surroundings. I can't find any info about strength of split rail fence, though.
[img
Any suggestions would be appreciated!

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it's workplace protection in a private, access controlled area, then an OSHA guard would be appropriate. If it's a public area, I imagine IBC 1015 and 1607.8.1 would apply, but check with the owner/AHJ.

There is a growing list of agencies that have a say in what you can and cannot do to fence your property. In addition to the State, the right to have a fence and its general appearance are impacted by county and city laws, municipal zoning ordinances, utility and wildlife easements, and historical districts. Plus, you likely will need a building permit to construct or replace a fence.

The site may be what is legally termed as an attractive nuisance which imply that you should limit access to the public.

Don't think the IBC addresses fences, so talk to the local building code official.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.
Just for context, this is in a county-owned historic site. It's on a filled arch bridge over an 19th century spillway, in a former Shaker settlement.
Someone suggested a split rail fence with steel mesh or chain link attached to the back, but I don't know if the rails would be strong enough. I guess we could buy one and load it to failure. Or use TigerGuy's suggestion.
I'm also not sure a split rail fence fits the Shaker aesthetic.

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back