Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Does KeyCreator trash files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandrake22

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2002
GB
My current workplace is stuck in the dark ages of Cadkey 99. I recently had a 20MB file in which about 80% of the objects went into that otherworld state where they wouldn't render or allow themselves to be copy/pasted into other files. Healing didn't work since they were no longer solids. Re-solidifying worked marginally at best. It took half a day to get back to where I was starting from the previous days backup file.

Does KeyCreator exhibit this behavior?

I have 5 years SolidWorks experience as well and it never trashed a file.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

KeyCreator has its problems but trashing files is not one of them. When I used Cadkey the only version that I ran into that would totally corrupt files was CK 19. You had to save often under different names. A real pain in the ass.

The latest version of KeyCreator doesn’t corrupt files but will kick you out or freeze when you least expect it. Overall KeyCreator is light years ahead of Cadkey in many areas. Plus they have a ton of new features, plus assembly capabilities using reference parts. Some have complained that some Draft-Pak features are not where they once were but they have incorporated 99% of it in the core program along with 90% of the old Fast-Surf. If you have a lot of layouts from Cadkey I would keep it for legacy work. There have been reported problem with imported layouts from old Cadkey files.

It’s always good to keep up with the latest versions when it comes with CAD software and KeyCreator is no exception. Get it, you won’t be disappointed.

Moldcore,

Thanks for the feedback.

I have the demo version of KeyCreator 6.5. I am most interested in testing the assembly functionality but I can't find a way to do so since this crippled version won't allow saving of any files. I admit to minimal time with the demo and I am assuming that the creation of new part file names, references as KC calls them, involves saving the object with a file name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back