Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does nx 8.5 support 3d pdf?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no current plans to support the creation of 3D PDF's in NX.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

3D PDF files are an asset for passing information in a common format to others that do not have the tools to view models (say marketing). Why not support 3D PDF's in NX, other vendors already do?

Thanks for the link John. I am familiar with the viewers and they are fine for internal company use, however it seems short sighted on Siemens part. So instead of sending customers a 3D PDF file they can view with software that more than likely is already installed on their PC, I send them a file they are unfamiliar with and tell them they need to download/install viewer X to look at it.

Adobe Supports parasolids so i just export back to V10 para and turn that into a 3d pdf

Ryan Lee
Mechanical Project Engineer

NX 6.0.5.3
NX 9.0.1.3(Testing)
If you can think it it can be modeled

It's 3rd party, but we use Tetra4D. Lets us take CAD from numerous sources (NX/CATIA/AutoDesk/etc) and drag/drop into adobe to create 3D PDF's.

--
CAD Detail and Designer II
NX 7.5, 8, and 8.5 with SmarTeam Integration.
CATIA V5 R20-R22

We used to use AutoVue and VisView depending on usage. We have moved to more use of VisView and free JT viewers as they are cost effective and work with all CAD formats we care about.

We tried other viewers and found no additional benefit and cost for usage was zero benefit. Many of our customers like the free JT viewer they click and install with our emails. We alos embed JT inside our quote and special documentation because its easy to do and provides clarity with the customer.

3D PDF never really caught on. Too many other choices for the money and the obvious choice was JT format.

NX 8.5 and Catia V5 R20

If you have Adobe Acrobat, you can import a 3D file into a pdf.
I believe it will accept stl and parasolid formats.
Any acrobat reader will allow 3D manipulation and measuement and sectioning, but the data is not exportable so its safe to share.
You just need Acrobat. I think you can use the online service from within the reader, but I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back