Does PDM make sense for a single user? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

toycept

Mechanical
Jan 28, 2004
US
I often have various files of different iterations of the same
design. Often I do a lot of "Save As" and after a while....
confusion. I'm a single user without anyone else working
simultaneously on the same files. Would PDM software be
any help...would it make sense for a single user to use a PDM
type system to keep things organized?... or does it seem to mostly
have its benefits for groups of people working with the same files.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never used PDM so cannot comment on it's usefulness, other than to say most users swear by it, but others swear at it.

What type if iterations are you talking about? Could configs not be used?

I've just finished designing one small (20 pieces) assy which went through 7 different design approaches. I assigned a 3 number prefix to the descriptive name of the parts, sub-assys and TL assy and used P&G to create completely independent sets of parts by changing the prefix for each version. When the design was finalised I just "Saved as" each part to it's final part number.

Hi CBL... thanks for the follow up.
My problem is I'm probably not as meticulous in keeping track of the variations. I do use various configurations in a single file.... but I'm more talking about using totally different design approaches for the same concept... I just don't think configurations would work.....as these different designs could wind up being fairly different from one another. So, I'm wondering if PDM might help keep things organized... but I get what you're saying about the assigning "descriptive names" to the file titles.

Toycept

I have been using PDMworks as a single user for over a year. I make sure to check all the files into the vault everytime I send out an update. That includes to make prototypes (number revisions) and production (letter revisions). I then save my solid files as steps and add the revision to the end of the file name. I save 2D prints as pdf's with the revision on the end of the file name. My solidworks file names never change so I do not have to worry about which file is the latest revision. By checking the files in when ever I send them out I am always able to go back to the revision I sent someone if need be. I have not used it when I am working on two different concepts simaltaniously though.

I think you can lock the file revision that is used in the assembly revision but I have not tried that. I think once you have "released" the design it might not work but if it is "kept in work" then it might work.

Absolutely, it is useful.

I have PDMWorks but am planning to move to dbWorks because it is more flexible and less temperamental and will perform a lot of mundane tasks.

If you are doing work for others, i.e., multiple customers you have a duty to keep there stuff separate. PDM makes sense. If you have customers that change their minds a lot or don't know what they want (make sure you charge by the hour) you need PDM.

Documenting CAD files is pretty much a well established necessity for anyone doing serious business. If you have the discipline and system to keep this up yourself, and it is possible, fine. But if you find you can't always keep up with it, better get a PDM system. And a good PDM system will add value and save time in setting up parts, assemblies and drawing documents with custom properties and what not that makes drawing go so much quicker.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

The one instance where PDM helps a single user:

I want to keep revision control, but I have a bad habit of opening up a file, changing it and saving back as the same revision. I have now lost the previous revision and have saved the new revision with the wrong revision letter. Careful habits can prevent this, but I have bad habits. If you have good habits or don't care about keeping old revisions then it does not provide benefit.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

I want to keep revision control, but I have a bad habit of opening up a file, changing it and saving back as the same revision.
There is a way around this if you realize it right after you save. Simply set backups to 3 or higher and you will have a copy of the file a couple of versions back.

Like I said, do it yourself PDM takes discipline and if you don't have it (never make a mistake) then go for it.

As for the learning curve, that frequently involves defining what you do already. This alone can be a great struggle as many people don't really know what they do, they just do it. Nothing wrong with that until the tribal knowledge has to be explained or passed on.

CSWP, BSSE
Phenom IIx6 1100T = 8GB = FX1400 = XP64SP2 = SW2009SP3
"Node news is good news."

Are you going to be solo SW forever? Then maybe it's not worth the added expense - however it's a tool that enforces good behavior - which is always a benefit for a Designer/Drafter/Engineer.

SW Premium 2011
64 bit SP4.0
Intel Xenon X5650 @2.67GHz
2.66 GHz 11.9 GB of RAM

PDM software will not fix your revision control problem it is just a tool. It is like Solidworks will not make some a better designer than Pro E they are just tools to let you do your job. Checking files into the vault is still something you will have to do.

Although someone here could probably write a macro that would allow you to check all your parts into the vault and close solidworks down at the end of the day so you at least have daily points for the last set of files you were working on. The down side would be any files already closed during the day would not be loaded into the vault. You also might start to eat up a lot of disk space with all the different revisions.

Understand the tool first then decide whether to use or not. I am very familiar with the use and appication of PDMWorks and based on that yes I would use it even if I'm the only user. Reason no 1 is file management. PDMWorks and other pdms for that matter manage data in a more efficient manner than other methods. That is not to say that others don't do well with other methods such as pack and go, folders, home brew databases etc...

The best tool is the one that you understand and achieves your requirements.

Best,

sam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back