Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does Solid Edge have a CAM package? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zrob

Structural
Aug 4, 2007
I was wondering if Solid Edge comes with or has a CAM package for use with a CNC punch press machine? This is just a general question since my work is just exploring this and we are not sure what machine will be purchase yet or what software packages will be needed; We are still in the stone age :)

We do really like the features with Solid Edge but the nesting/cam side has us wondering what else we will need for getting the part design through the manufacturing side?

Thanks,
Rob

AutoCAD and UGS NX 5 & 7 User
South Coast Mass

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The recommended solution is to use CAM Express, also from Siemens PLM Software. This is a CAD-neutral Manufacturing system based on the industry leading CAM applications first delveloped for Siemens' high-end, fully integrated, full-function, CAD/CAE/CAM system, NX.

For more information about CAM Express, go to:

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I can't speak to that as I'm not a CAM guy and this software is supported by another group of individuals. I can ask that someone from the NX CAM group who's actually responsible for CAM Express as well as normal NX CAM to come and look at this thread and perhaps he will be able to answer your questions for you. Now if he does try and respond, just keep in mind that he's NOT and SolidEdge guy but he still might know what it is that you're looking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I'm the CAM guy John mentioned ;*)

Siemens PLM provides a CAM package for SolidEdge called CAM Express, but this is focused on machining. For sheet metal, we rely on several partners, for example I am told Striker works with SolidEdge.

There are many partners in this area, so I recommend you take a look at them. You can get a list from our web site:

From go to Home > Partners > Find a Partner, enter and search for something like "punch". I found 12 partners for Solid Edge in this area:

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Rob,
Solid Edge unfortunately does not have a CAM package for punch presses but there are a few out there that work with Solid Edge. Now I'm biased because since I helped develop an integrated solution with a product called MetaCAM from Metamation. They handle punching, laser cutting, plasma, waterjet, etc. basically all sheet metal CAM methods.

They can actually read in NATIVE Solid Edge Psm files directly (no need to export a dxf file) and if you set your systems up properly, it will automatically import the Solid Edge flat patter and tool up the part upon importation for your specified machine.. It can also import any number of attributes you specify from the Edge file as well. Including material, thickness/gauge, quantity etc..

The system will also import Solid Edge assemblies, stripping out all files except the sheet metal models. If you specify you want to build 20 of said assembly, it will rip through the file and figured out the total quantities to build and only import duplicate parts once. Then it will tool them all up,save them in the native format and dump all the files into the nest engine with the total quantities to build.

This workflow can save tens of hours per week...

HTH,
Ryan

--
Ryan Gudorf
CAD/CAM Supervisor
Budde Sheet Metal Works, Inc.
305 Leo St.
Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A. 45404
Tel: 937.224.0868
Fax: 937.224.1356

Status
Not open for further replies.