Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the ANSYS import from AUTOCAD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaber26111

Mechanical
Sep 8, 2013
EG
hello professional engineers,

i am working on a tool design which is fed by hydraulic circuit, this tool i made its drawings 2D&3D on autocad, and now i need to analyse the loads on it using ANSYS, so can i open the autocad drawings on ANSYS and continue on that design work from there?, or i have to draw all of it again?

i am new on ansys, so i really need that help from engineers who have been worked on that software before and familiar with its options and to guide me through the previous question if possible

will appreciate your response,
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

If I remember right, ANSYS Workbench and ANSYS APDL can import geometry from ACIS,IGES, Parasolid and STEP files amongst others. See if you can export your drawing from AutoCAD as one of these file types and then try import to ANSYS.

Good Luck,
Dave

You don't say if you are using Workbench or MAPDL. Design Modeler in Workbench will import Autocad .dwg and .dxf files, in addition to IGES, STEP, ACIS and Parasolids and others. MAPDL will only import IGES unless you have a license for the various connectivity options.

Rick Fischer
Principal Engineer
Argonne National Laboratory

I am using workbench, i will try to import from auto-cad as DWG file, and let you know if i had any problems

Thanks for your care to response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back