Does the ASME write a report on why they made changes? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadiateurFou

Industrial
Feb 12, 2024
FR
Hello,

I understand that a new version of the ASME is published every two years. Is there a report explaining why changes have been made? The redline is not very usefull on this matter.

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"The ASME"??

ASME publish hundreds of codes and standards.

Look up ASME code committee meetings or minutes.

There is usually a draft version published with reasons if you look hard enough.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I'm going to assume that you are referring to the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.

Short answer - no. There is only a summary of the changes made. If you want to understand the "why", then you need to participate in the Code Committee meetings (even as a visitor) - even the ballot comments and meeting minutes don't capture the full nuance of the "why".

As a Mechanical Engineer, you are a "member" of the community - whether you choose to participate or not is your choice.

If there are specific changes that you're wondering about, you are welcome to ask here - many Code Committee members participate here.

Thanks you for your answers

Yes i am mainly concerned about BPVC but my question remains for others codes too.

For example on the 2013 version of Part VIII division I, Appendix 14-5 was deleted. Appendix 14 contains a method to calculate flat head with large openings, and 14-5 used to gave an example of this method. It was usefull to compare results given by a spreadsheet for example. But it was deleted and i'm left wondering why.

From personal experience, I can highly recommend joining one of the ASME committees. I'm personally involved in B31.3 SG-N (the IRG), which is useful to me as I don't have the option to travel abroad twice a year for Code meetings. Instead, IRG is the International Review Group that holds its meeting virtually, as we cover people from the EU, Africa, EMEA to Asia. Even though my involvement is just a fraction of that of a (voting) member, or from a member who physically attends meetings (like TGS4 mentioned), it is really worth the effort.

Huub
- You never get what you expect, you only get what you inspect.

Yes i have attended few meeting during the february BPVC week. It was very very interresting, but also very time consuming. I'm not sure my employer would be ok

In the example that you provided - the removal of "14-5 Examples" - the 2013 Edition, in the Summary of Changes at the front, referenced item 12-904. That item removed all of the examples in VIII-1 because ASME PTB-4 was published that superseded any examples contained within the VIII-1 book itself.

RadiateurFou said:
... but also very time consuming. I'm not sure my employer would be ok
Yes, volunteering to participate in a Code Committee is a significant investment from an employer. But, in return, they get an employee who knows and understands the "why" of changes. In the end, it's their choice - but recognize that it is a choice. Choosing to not participate means that they will purely reactive and not understand any "why".

As XL83NL noted, even being involved in an IWG or IRG gets you access to ASME C&S Connect, which gets you access to all of the Code items - which will give you much better insight into the "why".

If your business depends on the specifications, then participation in committees is a crucial part of your job.
My co-worker was on ASME B&PVC and ASTM committees while I was on ASTM and AMS ones.
The only one that documents changes in any useful detail is AMS, because of aerospace.
And yes, along with some admin meetings we were looking at 8 man-weeks a year for this activity.
The other part of this is that I ate lunches and dinners with customers, and everyone felt that it was a contact, without a special visit.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Ohh i see thanks you !

I also think that it will have a lot of benefits to have someone participate in a committee. Even our AI mentionned it multiple times, but we still have no one participating as of now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back