Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

does the past affect the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brizz

Civil/Environmental
May 8, 2007
US
I plead guilty to a misdemeanor in college. I recently submitted PE application, and on that application there is a question requiring documentation for any criminal offenses committed, I included this info. My question is, should I be worried about minor criminal convictions in my past and how it affects my chances of getting my license in any state?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with your state's professional licensing office. IIRC, NY won't license a convicted felon, but a misdemeanor shouldn't be a problem.

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

I doubt there would be very many active registrations, if they pulled a PE for misdemeanors. Most everyone I know has pleeded guilty to speeding.

As for your precise question, I think the past's effect on the future is at the very least ...measurable. Look at Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq I, Iraq II... seems to be on the same old trajectory, if nothing else.

09-1527195294T.gif

"As for your precise question, I think the past's effect on the future is at the very least ...measurable. Look at Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq I, Iraq II... seems to be on the same old trajectory, if nothing else. "

Philosopically, wouldn't it be the present that affects the future? One the day we're born we don't a past, so everything in the future is a result of the present moment.

The box calls for all convictions and specifically says that it does not include traffic violations. I don't think it will be too big of a deal, I just wanted to see if someone already had experience with this.
If you can change the past, you change the past, the present, and the future

Modern particle physics and ancient Asian philosophy both suggest that past, present and future all exist as part of a unified whole, and our experience of time passing is merely a product of human limitations, so, not only does the past influence the future, but the future influences the past in some mysterious way beyond human comprehension.

But being neither a Taoist sage nor a subatomic physicist, I'm content to live in our nice, boring, mundane, understandable Newtonian world, and say, Brizz, good luck on your application!

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

"I'm searching for the questions, so my answers will make sense." - Stephen Brust

Brizz,
Probably depends on the Board and on the nature of your offense.

I had two misdemeanors. I spelled them out in an attachment to my application along with the steps I had taken to change my life to insure these situations would not occur again. No problem that I am aware of with the licensing board, or subsequent licensing in another state.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back