Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Does the power industry not like to hire engineers with tech experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EEak96

Electrical
Apr 21, 2016
CA
Im graduating soon with an EE degree specializing in power systems. My only internship was with a tech company that designs CPUs and GPUs, and my job was mainly working with hardware logic designs and creating automation scripts on phython. I have heard that power people don't like hiring tech guys because they think that they will not be interested in power and will leave in a couple of years. Obviously, this is not true for me considering I chose to move away from tech and chose power over it, but am i still at a disadvantage?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At my company, electrical engineers that are interested in power systems is hard to find. If your resume is distracting the reviewer from your desire to work in power systems, then I suggest adding a cover letter with your resume explaining your interest in power systems.

As a side, where are you located?

There have been some discussions around this subject on this forum, so please do search around a bit for those threads. Since you are a new graduate, my opinion is that your work experience is more a display that you know how to work in the professional world. In preparing for your interviews, I would develop some lines that explain your desire to work in power systems, which I imagine you can support with your specialization coursework. If you can convey your genuine interest in power systems, your high tech experience shouldn't handicap you [laughtears]

Just realize not all of the power industry deals with just power. To measure and report the status of remote switch systems, loads, voltages, circuit breakers, etc, there is a lot of SCADA involved as well, and this involves a lot of what you called "tech" and a lot of internet, wired communications, and wireless communications.

Not power, but I wouldn't see a single internship in another field as being wedded to that field. Ten or twenty years experience and no good reason for moving field, maybe. Emphasise the transferrable technical skills, and be ready to explain why you weren't interested in going back to the place you interned at.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back