Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Domestic booster pump feeding hydrants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeng84

Industrial
Aug 9, 2024
US
The following question is for a project in the US (so IBC/IFC and NFPA applicable):

It is a Campus style project. Sprinklers are fed from a fire loop, pressurized by a fire pump drawing water from a dedicated fire water tank. The domestic water system on site feeds all domestic water sources on site, the hydrants, and provide makeup for the fire water tank, i.e. hydrants are not on the fire loop, they are fed from the domestic water system. The domestic system needs a domestic booster pump to supply water to the site. But since the hydrants are fed from the domestic line and the booster pump is boosting the domestic line, would this be considered a fire pump and therefore needs to meet all fire pump requirements? I would think not as this is not different than a domestic pump at a city pump station, but maybe I'm missing something here.. the concern being if the booster pump station fails and there not being sufficient pressure and flow for the hydrants.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No, it would not but the pump would need to be capable of handling hydrant fire loads. Presumably if the domestic booster pump failed, the campus would become unoccupied. I could see a gray area where the booster failed but there was still just enough pressure for domestic use but that would come under the control of the AHJ to determine if the campus was habitable or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back