Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Domestic Pump and Fire Pump Connected to Combined Water Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

CFreels

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2021
US
Thanks to whoever reads this and takes the time to answer.

I've got a project with a fire pump and a domestic pump both connected to the same water supply distribution pipe that feeds several buildings on one site. The pumps are in parallel and water will only flow through the fire pump if a fire system demand occurs that the domestic pump can't keep up with, which basically means a fire hydrant has been opened.

The plumbing contractor is refusing to perform the work in the pump house containing these pumps because the fire pump is not specifically rated for domestic water use and therefore the water passing through it becomes non-potable in his opinion. The plumbing contractor has now convinced the GC that we've designed something that is not allowed by code, even though this is a common system and is even referenced in NFPA codes. This particular project is under the International Plumbing Code.

I've never had this angle come up before. Normally, I'm having to answer why a domestic booster can be on a fire system, and not the other way around. Has anyone had any experiences like this or thoughts on what the counter argument should be? Is there even such a thing as an NSF 61 rated fire pump?

If you think that the contractor is right, that's fine to let me know also. But then please tell me how this type of system ever meets code. A duplicate post for this will be added to the IBC codes forum also.

Thank for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back