Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Doppler flow measurement transmitted to wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatdamengineer

Agricultural
Oct 20, 2008
US
I have a very small town that for a client. They are under an order from the state DEQ to measure flow into their lagoon ( a new lagoon that has not yet risen to operating level ) and report it monthly. Due to the limitations of the town employees ( volunteers I am attempting to monitor the flow and automatically transmit this by wifi to the State DEQ. They have an older compuflow doppler that has o real output except the screen. I need a recommendation for the equipment to transmit the total pumped through a 6 or 8 inch line, and also report temp and rainfall at the site to the State DEQ. We have a site to install the doppler prior to the inlet into the lagoon. We can get an inexpensive wifi weather station from rainwise.com. The flow measurement and conversion to wifi is the real problem. The only response we have had requires a $6K software program. The budget for this is $5K. I will probably be doing the installation and the design pro bono...

Any help would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Something like this: coupled with the Labview from might be doable. So long as the flow meter has some recognizable digital output, the software could be quite simple. If nothing else, head over to your local high school and grab an AP Comp Sci student, who'll at least be able to program something in Java. If they're actually good, they might be able to codge up something directly in Excel using VBA.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Actually, if you have a local college that has computer science as a major, you could probably get someone that can do enough programming to get by.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back